Thursday 3 January 2013

Patton DNA project

I thought I would just give a plug to a DNA project I contributed my results to some time ago. My surname of Paton is a variant of Patton, and on the back of taking my Y-DNA test some time back I sent my results through to the Family Tree DNA affiliated World Families DNA project at www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/Patton/results.

My results are currently in the Plain Jane / Johnny No Mates category ('Haplogroup R1b - Not Yet Assigned to a Lineage') but after a period of being virtually dormant there have been a few additions to the project in the last 6 months or so. In due course, as more people submit data more lineages - hopefully including mine! - can help the as yet unassigned lines become grouped together more specifically.

If you are a Paton or Patton from anywhere in the world, and fancy having a go, please do consider adding your results to this project page! Family Tree DNA tests can be obtained from www.familytreedna.com/default.aspx; other World Families project pages are available from www.worldfamilies.net.

By the way, there's no such thing as a Clan Paton - for most of us, we just had an ancestor called Patrick (and not the same one). But we're no less Scottish for it! :) My lot are so far known to have come from Perthshire (at present traced back to the parish of Dunbarney circa 1750, although I strongly suspect they relocated there from Auchtergaven), with lots of connections to the city of Perth itself.

Chris

Pre-order my new book, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet, through Pen and Sword (30 April 2013), or purchase early at Who Do You Think You Are Live 2013 in London. For my other genealogy books, please visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html; whilst for online Scottish based genealogy courses please visit the Pharos Teaching and Tutoring Ltd site.

No comments:

Post a Comment